SURVIVAL~ Society for Photographic Education WEST Regional Conference
November 18th&19th, 2011 • Cabrillo College – Santa Cruz, CA
Submissions Due: By midnight on Sunday, September 18th, 2011
For More Information Visit: SPEWEST.ORG
CALL FOR PROPOSALS: IMAGEMAKER PRESENTATIONS – LECTURES – WORKSHOPS – PANELS – TEACHING WORKSHOPS
The conference will invite image-makers, theoreticians and historians to propose papers and workshops that consider the notion of Survival. Survival, as endurance, can describe the sustainability of a custom or belief. Survival, as evolution, can investigate a natural process resulting in change. Survival, as individuals, can illuminate an inner-journey. Works may also address survival on a local or global level as an artist, photographer, educator, professional, community, species, culture, or environment. Questions that explore the survival of the current state of the medium of photography, including both traditional and new genres, in relation to artistic practice, commercial use, and photo-education are welcomed. All proposals are peer reviewed by the SPE West Board.
* The conference also strongly invites educators to propose workshops related to teaching.
** Proposals not specific to the theme WILL be considered.
FORMAT: Image-maker presentations – lectures – workshops – panels
- Lecture or panel – historical or theoretical on a theme or another artist’s work (specify 30 minutes or 60 minutes).
- Image-maker presentation – Image-makers may work in photography, film, video installation or performance (specify 30minutes or 60minutes).
- Workshop/Round-table Discussion – a ‘how-to’ or information sharing forum led by one or more educators. Please specify materials, space requirements and estimated time needed.
- Student Presentation: A shorter length presentation of your work and the program you are enrolled in (30 minutes).
SUBMISSION FORMAT: Image-maker presentations – lectures – workshops – panels
Please submit as ONE PDF document – the following information:
- Name, address, phone, email, title of submission, additional speakers/panelists, and website if appropriate.
- A 250 – 500 word abstract detailing the presentation or work submitted.
- A 50 word biographical summary for each intended participant.
- A portfolio of images ca. 10 – 15 images relevant to the theme or artist presentation (video artists please also submit a link to online video files). Please keep your image files small –recommend maximum width 1000 pixels @72ppi.
- Choose a 30 minute time slot OR 60 minute time slot OR a 90 minute timeslot (for large panels) OR a Workshop format (specify time needed).
- Please submit all submissions and address all questions to Julia Bradshaw Bradshaw.email@example.com Please include the word PROPOSAL and your name in the SUBJECT field.